3.09.2008

what i'm listening to lately 1.0

Manchester's Working For a Nuclear Free City played their first shows ever in NYC this week. I tagged along to one of them as a friend's +1 because of the "free" thing, you know, but ended up actually... really digging the band and sort of can't stop listening to them since.


Working For a Nuclear Free City -- Rocket

WFaNFC play layered guitar-driven synth-y dream pop (?) that's somehow both shoegazey and dancey and incorporates influences from more weird shit than I can comprehend. Mysteriously, most of their songs seem to work as the soundtrack to the entirety of my Friday night, from the getting-ready-drinking-vodka-red-bull part, to the dark-bar-bright-lights-dancing part, to the mopey subway ride home alone, to the part where i drink half a Brita filter of water and lay on my floor with my huge DJ headphones staring up at the ceiling which is still kind of spinning while bemoaning my existence but secretly being pretty content about how awesome my headphones are and how awesome whatever I'm listening to sounds right then (you do it too, shut up.) (Also, for those of you that know the weird crap I listen to, Pitchfork gave them a 7.8/10, so it's not like I'm alone in loving their sound, either.)

If you missed WFaNFC at Music Hall of Williamsburg yesterday, they're playing a handful of showcases at SXSW, so try to catch them there. Or just check them out (and stream a lot more of their songs) at Myspace.

No comments: